Old to New

My son spent New Year's at a friends, so it was just me and the zoo last night. I had a nice, quiet evening of pizza, wine, "Agatha Christie's Poirot" on Netflix, and cross stitching. This morning I got up and made cookies (the Cinnamon Hot Chocolate cookies are the best).

It's finally cold here, so it feels like Christmas should be right around the corner. Instead I'll be taking down Christmas things today. Weird. I'm up on a cliff top with a view of the Missouri River, and can see the flooded fields on the other side. I don't know anyone personally who has been affected by the flooding, but it has been grim, seeing the photos, and driving past areas that are or were under water. If we get this kind of rain again in the Spring, it's going to happen all over again. The ground will be far too saturated to absorb the usual Spring rains. I hope we're prepared for it.

Anyway.

I never did post photos of the other things I stitched in 2015, so here they are. I'm sure that these are all familiar to any stitchers in the blogosphere, since I found them via blogs. Links in the captions, where relevent. All of these little guys are on 14 count black Aida except for the first one, which is on a tea-dyed linen of...some count. Possibly 28. Or 32. Not sure.


"Fa la la" - freebie from Plum Pudding Needleart


Freebies from here & here
(The colors in the two above and the one directly below are actually the same, but my cell phone doesn't take the best pictures.)

 I made some changes to the above - instead of a little heart on the ground next to the tree, I stitched a little bird; and I left off the bottom of the second pattern (it also said "Noel," and I had 2 "Noel"s already).
freebie from here
This is my other "Noel". I made a few changes - I did the house in yellow and white, with a light gray roof, to go with my actual yellow house. And the chimney smoke looks more heart-like in the original pattern, but that was one heart too many for me so I reversed one of the curls. 
From 2015 Just Cross Stitch ornament issue
 And then, I got the Just Cross Stitch ornament issue, and stitched the Prairie Schooler pattern.

I haven't done anything with these yet, but they'll all be turned into ornaments over the next year.

For 2016, I have started a pattern called "Tall Oaks" by Cross-Eyed Cricket. It's a birth announcement type thing that I'm doing for my now-17-year-old. He was surprisingly pleased when I told him about it. I've made decent progress over the last couple of days:


I start back to work next week so I won't have nearly as much time to stitch as I've had these past couple weeks, but I think I'll get this one done in the first quarter of the year.

I'm putting my Cross-Wing Collection snowmen on hold for a while. I haven't decided yet if I want to put it away entirely to free up the scroll frame, or if I want to just poke at it when I'm in the mood.

I got the fabric and floss ready for my January "small" for the Smalls SAL. I suspect I'll have no problem keeping up with the SAL - I can only take small projects to work to stitch on at lunch, so I won't get distracted from the monthly SAL by whatever bigger project I'm working on. (Hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself...)

Happy New Year!


Comments

Katie said…
Fantastic work on everything you did. Good luck in 2016!
Justine said…
Lovely projects - especially those snowmen! Good luck with your goals this year. I've joined the Smalls SAL too so we can cheer each other along.