June Smalls SAL post

My June small for the Smalls SAL, run by Heather of Stitching Lotus.
This is from "Summer" by Country Cottage Needleworks. I have actually seen several iterations of this where people only stitch the top (leaving off the list of words). I did include the checkered band from the bottom of the design; I like the picnic-y reference (which is partly why I stitched an ant in the center of the band instead of the charted heart :D ).

It's stitched on "As You Wish" by Under the Sea Fabrics. The main color is a pretty blue - much closer to this in real life than what you see in the above picture. The soft wash of green on the bottom half of the stitched area gives it a sense of grass under a summer sky. Love it.

In place of the 2 charted overdyed threads, I used overdyed threads from my stash - DMC 4075 for the house/sun/bee hives, and GAST Baby Spinach for the grass/leaves.

I had actually planned to stitch this for July but it's been so flippin' hot here that it seemed appropriate to start it early. :(  DNW this heat omg.

Other smalls completed this month:

Comments

Unknown said…
You had a great month for Small Finishes. I love this without all the words at the bottom. I am finding so many new projects to add to my wish lists this month.
Great stitching, love the ant!
Julie said…
Loving your version, its great.
Way to go, Amy! It turned out super. I really like the fabric you stitched it on. GAST's Baby Spinach makes a good grass color, doesn't it?
ANGIE said…
Hi Amy, it's so sweet finish! Happy stitching!
Katie said…
Oh how beautiful and bright. Congrats on the finish.
Carol said…
Ha ha--that little ant is adorable! Great idea, Amy, and your finish is darling :)
Justine said…
I love it! I stitched this one with just the top part as you did, but I might go back and add the chequered border at the bottom as yours is so cute.
Your fabric is lovely too.
Elfie said…
I love the colours in your Summer. Congratulations on such a lovely finish.
Brigitte said…
This is such a cute summer design. I have also seen it without the words underneath on several blogs. Looks nice, too.