Thursday, July 6, 2017

Long-term WIP finish

Back in late 2014, I thought I would try to revive my cross stitch hobby, and purchased a Mill Hill kit from a stitch shop. The kit included perforated paper; I didn't think I'd like the look of the finished product on that, so I also bought a matching 28 count fabric.

I started the kit the following spring, and then stalled. As I got closer to finishing the stitching, I started dreading the beading. So it ended up in a drawer for a while.

But, after starting so many things for Stitch Maynia this year, I suddenly feel like I need to finish some things, and this one had been silently guilt-tripping me from its drawer for 2 years so into rotation it went.

And...*drumroll*...I finished it on Tuesday! I was going to take my time with it, but I hated the beading so much that I decided to just push through and finish it so I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. :D
"Spring Robin" by Mill Hill.

I don't know why I found the beading so aggravating. But now that I have had a couple of days to get over my aggravation, I can admit that the beads really do make it pretty. My favorites are the shimmery beads on the eggs and edges of the flower petals. And I love how the glint of light on the dark gray eye bead makes it look almost realistic.

I am definitely glad I stitched it on fabric. Perforated paper works great for things that are ultimately cut out (so you don't actually see much of the paper) but I don't think I would have liked having a big perforated paper border around the stitched area here.

SO pleased to have this one done.

4 comments:

  1. That's really pretty! It must feel so good to have it out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous finish! I like it on the fabric you used. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you pushed through and finished this one, Amy, as it is so sweet. I love everything about it!!

    ReplyDelete

October Smalls SAL post

Here's my project for the October Smalls SAL hosted by Stitching Lotus : Very Merry Autumn by JBW Designs. I stitched it on 32 count ...